British and Irish sausages are among my favourites comfort food and for me have much more use than a simple English breakfast, but I more like my sausages in a bread sandwich ideal for picnic, summer concerts or even to watch Wimbledon. Here 3 British sausages ideas.
Two sausages by serves are the best measures. Two sausages are around 265 kcal.
Serves 4. Timing 30m. kcals 483.
2 red onions (finely sliced)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. light brown soft sugar
½ tsp. thyme leaves (fresh if is possible)
8 pork sausages
120g cherry tomatoes
4 white bread rolls
Grill to medium-high
1. Start cooking the sausages, read the package instruction, but approx. will take between 15 min and 20. Always depend on the brands
2. Heat the oil in a medium-low heat and fry the onions until soft (about 10-15 min) stirring from time to time.
3. When the onions are soft, add vinegar, sugar, thyme and black pepper, stir for 2 min.
4. Add the tomatoes and stir for another 3 min.
5. Halved the rolls and warm-up them in the oven.
6. Serve. Fill the rolls with the onions-tomatoes mixture and the sausages.
Saltimbocca sausages sandwich
Serves 4. Timing 30 min. Kcal 440
4 slices of parma ham.
8 sage leaves
4 pork sausages
2 tbsp. plain flour
2 tbsp. olive oil
150 ml dry white wine
4 ciabbata or crusty bread rolls
1 garlic (peeled)
Grill to medium
1. In a clean surface lay out a slice of parma ham. Sit a sage leaf on one edge and put one sausage on top. Roll up, wrapping the sausage with the sage in the ham. Repeat with the rest of sausages.
2. Coat the sausages in the flour, shake any excess.
3. Heat the olive oil and 25g butter in a frying pan. Use a low heat.
4. Add the remaining sage leaves and stir in the sausages and fry until golden brown (10 min at least). Be careful can get a bit messy. Control your heat
5. Pour in the wine and bubble gently for another 10 minutes, until the sausages are cooked and you have a thick sauce.
6. Melt the rest of the butter, after turn off the heat
7. Meanwhile the sausage rest, halve the bread and grill until crusty remove and rub the garlic.
8. Serve. Fill the rolls with the sausages and spoon over a little of sauce.
Baked sausages with summer vegetables.
Serves 4. Timing 1.15 min. Kcal 550kcal
8 pork sausages
2 red onions (in wedges)
3 red peppers (cut in wide strips)
500g new potatoes (quartered)
250g cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves (sliced)
5 thyme sprigs and 2 tsp. of dried oregano
Oven at 200ºC
1. Already in an ovenproof dish mix all the vegetables with the herbs and 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Season and roast for 15 minutes.
2. Now stir in the garlic and stir the vegetables. On top sit the sausages and drizzle a little of extra olive oil over the sausages. Roast for another 20 minutes.
3. Finally drizzle the balsamic vinegar, stir over the sausages and stir the vegetables as well. Cook for another 15 minutes, until golden brown.