Nachos with Guacamole
Guacamole is today a classic snack that taste even better if you pick the perfect ripe avocados and make at home. For me sea salt is a must in the recipe and also choose the chilli variety that adjust more with your taste. Guacamole is to enjoy with your friends. Also you can make your home-made nachos if you want to skip the artificial nachos. The precooked white maize flour is not easy to find in regular supermarkets, try gourmets places like Taj in Brighton.
For the Guacamole you need: 1-2 serrano chillies to taste or fresh green chillies (finely chopped) -
½ red onion (finely chopped) - 2 tsp sea salt - 3 Hass avocados (ripe) - 2 ripe tomatoes (peeled, deseeded and chopped) Juice of 2 limes – 3 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped) or parsley -
|Guacamole in a pestle and mortar|
2. Cut open the avocados and put the flesh into the pestle. Roughly mash the flesh with a fork or the mortar leaving some texture, add half the lime juice as you are mashing.
3. Stir in the remaining chillies, red onion and tomatoes, and half of the coriander and mix very well. If your mortar is no big enough continue the guacamole in a bowl.
4. Sprinkle over the rest of the lime juice and coriander, and season with black pepper. Check is the season, coriander or lime adjust to your taste, if not you can add more.
For the home-made nachos you need: 2 cups of Precooked white maize flour – 2 ½ cups of lukewarm water – 1 tsp salt – Corn oil or vegetable oil to fry
1. In a bowl pour in the water, and the salt, slowly add the maize flour mixing with a wooden spoon as you go. Then with your hands make the dough.
2. Move the dough to a working surface and knead for about 7 minutes until you have smooth dough. Leave to rest covered in the fridge for half an hour
3. Put the dough between 2 cling film sheet, and with the rolling pin flatten the dough to about 3-5 mm (kitchen towel thick)
4. With a sharp knife, pizza cutter or a triangle shape cutter cut the flattened dough in nachos triangles (about 4cm base x 5cm side)
5. Heat your oil until smoky and deep fry the nachos in batches. A minute each side will be enough to be golden brown. Keep warm the first batches over a kitchen towel.
6. When you have all the nachos ready serve with your guacamole!
Quick Pizza dough
|My alla diavola pizza with fennel tomato sauce|
You need for the dough: 215g of self- rising flour and 150ml tepid water with 2tbsp of olive oil
For the tomato sauce: 1 can chopped tomatoes - 6 sprigs of basil with leaves – 1 garlic clove (peeled) – 2 tbsp. olive oil - 1 tbsp. Red wine vinegar – 1 tsp. fennel seeds
Making the sauce
1. With a mortar crush the fennel seeds and keep apart.
2. Put the remaining ingredients in a blender or liquidiser, and smooth nicely. Season.
3. Add the fennel seeds.
Making the dough and pizza
|Sprinkle some parmesan and pepper and ready to bake|
2. Then sprinkle with some flour a working surface, move in the dough and sprinkle some flour over, also flour a rolling pin and start to roll the pin until the dough is 1 cm thick.
3. Heat a pizza tray or a big pan brushed with olive oil in the oven or on the hob (if the pan is not big enough split the dough in 2), when it is very hot move the flat dough to the pizza tray or pan. With your finger push down the edges of the dough into the sides of the pan.
4. Pour over the tomato sauce just in the middle of the dough, spread evenly all over.
5. Add your favourite topping, mine is alla diaviola!
More: Cornichons burger - Fish Finger sandwich - Organic home-made chicken nuggets
Recipes for entertaining friends and TV Sports Sea...